Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters
The HIPPY program offers home based early childhood education for three, four and five year old children working with their parent(s) as their first teacher. The parent is provided with a set of carefully developed materials, curriculum and books designed to strengthen their child’s cognitive skills, early literacy skills, social/emotional and physical development. HIPPY is a parent involvement and school readiness program.
HIPPY gives parents the tools, skills, and confidence they need to engage with their children in educational activities.
The curriculum is scripted to help parents deliver the lessons to their children with confidence.
HIPPY meets in various communities with a trained HIPPY Parent Educator.
-1 day a week for an hour
- HIPPY gives parents the tools, skills and confidence they need to act as primary educators of their children
- HIPPY teaches parents how to engage with their children in educational activities.
- HIPPY delivers services through home visits by trained peers from within the community.
- HIPPY begins with the basic tenet that all parents want the very best for their children, but might need support and help in developing their children’s potential.
- HIPPY works because of its peer-to-peer model, because parents are engaged early and in a positive way, and because it is an esteem builder for parent and child, since learning becomes a fun routine and leads to school success and literacy.
School readiness skills are necessary for any child entering Preschool or Kindergarten.
- HIPPY covers the following 5 domains
-Motor (gross and fine)
‘Ewa Family Learning Center
91-1258 Renton Road
Ewa Beach, Hawaii 96706
Days: Wednesday & Thursday
Honolulu Family Learning Center
1117 Kaili Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
Days: Monday & Tuesday
Kāne’ohe Family Learning Center
46-056 Kamehameha Highway, #F11
Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
Waimānalo Family Learning Center
41-1323 Kalanianaole Highway
Waimanalo, Hawaii 96795